It is inevitable that as a beekeeper you will get stung. Bees are not by nature aggressive and only  use their sting to defend the colony or when they panic or become trapped (e.g. in your  hair).

When you get stung it may feel like you have been pricked by a needle and the pain will last for a couple of minutes, but the main reaction will occur later and  may include the following around  the site of the sting and should disappear with in a couple of days.

  • Swelling
  • itching
  • redness
  • Minor discomfort

If you get stung you should

  • Remove the stinger from the skin with your finger nail by scraping sideways. Do Not pull it out as it will only inject more venom
  • Wash he site of sting
  • If you have a severe allergic reaction seek medical help immediately